Vacancy for a professorship
The Faculty of Arts & Philosophy invites applications for the part-time (40%) position of professor in the rank of Lecturer or Senior Lecturer in the Department of History, taking effect on February 1, 2013. Responsibilities will include academic teaching, research and service in the field of methodology and auxiliary sciences of medieval history.
- on the day of application, candidates are required to hold a doctor’s degree with a doctoral thesis in History (or equivalent thereof);
- candidates are required to have at least two years of postdoctoral experience on February 1, 2013;
- candidates are required to have research experience in the field of methodology and auxiliary sciences of medieval history, as is evident from contributions to international conferences and publications in books and/or peer-reviewed journals;
- candidates are required to possess both demonstrable palaeographical skills and knowledge of Latin and Western-European medieval vernaculars;
- candidates are required to possess the necessary didactic, organizational and communicative skills for teaching in an academic context;
- demonstrable experience with Digital Humanities will be considered an asset;
- international experience gained, for instance, through participation in research programmes at institutions other than one’s own, will be considered an asset.
Candidates are required to show their willingness to learn Dutch (insofar as they do not speak this language on the day of application).
The candidates are required to submit an outline (max. 1500 words) explaining their views on research, teaching and administrative duties in relation to this vacancy.
Non-Dutch-speaking candidates can also apply. The official language at Ghent University is Dutch.
1. candidates will be short-listed on the basis of their curriculum vitae, bibliography, and the outline;
2. short-listed applicants will be invited for an interview and required to present a micro-class, on the basis of which the final selection will be made.
This part-time (40%) position is an appointment for a clearly defined, limited and renewable period of time.
Depending on the specific profile of the selected candidate, s/he will be appointed in the rank of Lecturer or Senior Lecturer.
Gross annual salary for a 40% lecturership: between € 19,085 and € 29,927 (depending on qualifications and seniority).
For further information about this vacancy, applicants are welcome to contact Professor Erik Thoen (Erik.Thoen@UGent.be or +32 (0)9 331 02 01) or visit the website of the History Department: http:/
Applications should be sent in duplicate, and by registered mail to:
the Rector of Ghent University
The standard application forms for Autonomous Academic Staff (“ZAP”) should be used, with the required transcripts (copies of degrees) attached. Applications must be sent no later than May 25, 2012.
The application forms for Autonomous Academic Staff (“ZAP”) can be obtained at Ghent University, Department of Personnel and Organisation, Sint-Pietersnieuwstraat 25, 9000 Gent (tel +32 (0)9 264 31 28 or +32 (0)9 264 95 48), or can be downloaded from the internet: