African Futures, the 9th European Conference on African Studies is just around the corner and we are thrilled to open the Call for Panels. Deadline for the submission of abstracts is October 3, 2022.
As Europe’s largest and most international conference with an African focus, ECAS 9 will be held as a face-to-face event from May 31 to June 3, 2022 in Cologne, Germany.
Under the theme "Africa: Connections and Disruptions", ECAS 2023 is complemented by a broad range of cultural events all around the City of Cologne.
Requirements for panel proposal
- Panel proposals should be in adherence to the conference theme.
- Panels should have two co-convenors (panel organizers) from different institutions.
- At least one of the convenors should attend face-to-face.
- At least one of the convenors must have a PhD degree.
- Delegates’ participation is limited to one panel per person (as a convenor or presenter). However, panellists may also convene one plenary session, roundtable or be a discussant in another panel/plenary session/ roundtable.
- AEGIS CRG panels should be submitted by respective network convenors. The network name must be appended to the title of the proposed panel [in square brackets].
- Panel submissions from individuals who are black, indigenous, or people of color (BiPoC) from Africa or the African diaspora are specifically encouraged.
- All attendants, including panel convenors, paper presenters, discussants, chairs, and listeners are required to register and pay to attend in advance. Please see the likely registration fees here. Payment is mandatory only after acceptance of your proposal.
- All proposals must be made via the online form.
- Please include the panel title, a short description (max. 300 characters) and an abstract (max. 250 words).
- Each panel proposal must be tagged with one disciplinary (x) and one thematic (y) stream. This helps to organize reviewing and scheduling.
- If already known, please add your chair and discussants.
- On submission of the proposal, the proposing convenor will receive a confirmation emails; other convenors, chairs and discussants will receive emails notifying them of the proposal, requiring them to log in on the website (may require account creation) to confirm their role in the panel. You may wish to alert them to this requirement, in case it goes to spam or they suspect the email is phishing.
Panels for ECAS 2023 will be announced by October 31, 2022.