The Forum Transregionale Studien and the Max Weber Stiftung – Deutsche Geisteswissenschaftliche Institute im Ausland (MWS) invite the scholars affiliated with one of the institutes of the MWS or a research program/member institution of the Forum to make a proposal for the thematic concept for a Transregional Academy. The successful applicants will have the opportunity to explore their research questions and develop transregional projects within the framework of the innovative format of an academy. We offer open and flexible formats and strong scholarly networks as well as our support in conceptual development, practical organization and funding.
Transregional Academies provide a team of scholars with diverse regional expertise with an intensive setting to probe and generate ideas and research questions. They offer an extended workspace for promising early career scholars to present and connect their work to international peers and potentially develop original concepts into larger projects (lasting from ten to fourteen days and including up to 25 international participants). We support academies that address issues from a transregional perspective and combine a systematic problem-oriented approach with an engagement of area-based competences.
- Eligible for application are researchers holding a PhD in the social sciences or humanities who are affiliated with an institute of the MWS or a research program/member institution of the Forum.
- If possible, the academies should take place in the calendar year 2018, but upon consultation they can also take place in 2019.
- Academies may be organized at any scholarly institution in or outside Germany, including the host countries of the MWS institutes or the International Centres for Advanced Studies (ICAS).
- The Forum and the MWS pursue an Open Access publication strategy, offer a scholarly publication platform (www.perspectivia.net) and other digital channels. Part of the academy’s concept should be the dissemination of the discussions and results of the academy.
- Please submit a 2-3 page proposal for an Academy, explaining the originality of your project, how it relates to the transregional research agenda of the Forum Transregionale Studien and the Max Weber Stiftung, and how it meets all the criteria mentioned above. Applicants are advised to consult the Forum website and the Transregional Academy Blog for information regarding the formats of past academies. There you also find FAQ.
- To apply, send proposals in German or English with a curriculum vitae (max. 2-3 pages) to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than February 16th, 2018 (all in one PDF document). You will be informed about the result of the application process in April 2018 at the latest.
- Upon acceptance of your application you will be invited to co-develop the event. The Forum provides full financial and organizational support but also welcomes projects that involve matching funding and institutional collaboration.
- The conveners of academies must submit an evaluation report within three months of the event’s completion.