Early career scholars that are doing critical interdisciplinary research on pressing global issues are encouraged to apply for a fellowship to attend the 2nd Annual UCI Global Studies Conference. The conference will be held January 31 - February 1, 2020 and will be hosted by the Department of Global & International Studies at the University of California Irvine.
The purpose of the UCI Global Scholars Early Career Fellowship is to support professionalization in the field of Global Studies, including successful publishing, by fostering quality mentorship for junior scholars.
Successful applicants will present a work in progress to a panel of distinguished scholars. Panel mentors will comment on the Fellow’s work, making suggestions intended to increase the likelihood it will be accepted for publication. Topics of discussion could include the kinds of questions being asked, relevant literature in the field, appropriate conclusions, significance of the work, avenues for further research and funding, and specific journals or publishers to which the work could be submitted.
UC Irvine will provide successful applicants with travel and lodging at the conference.
Scholars from historically underrepresented backgrounds including women, minorities, Indigenous scholars, as well as scholars from the global south, are especially encouraged to apply.
Early career scholars, including pre-tenure assistant professors, postdoctoral fellows, recent Ph.D. and advanced graduates (ABD), are eligible to apply.
Deadline for applications is Friday, October 18, 2019.
1. Online Application
2. Curriculum Vitae
3. Article or book chapter in progress with abstract*
4. A one-page research statement
5. One copy of student’s transcript (student applicants only)
6. Letter of Recommendation (the name of one recommender who is well acquainted with
your academic work)
* Applicants must submit with their application a full draft of a work in progress that they will present at the conference. The work could be a journal article or book chapter that is to be submitted for publication to a peer review journal or academic press.
To apply please visit: https://www.globalstudies.uci.edu/conference/index.php
If you have any questions or concerns please contact Philip McCarty, firstname.lastname@example.org.