- salary scheme 13 TV-L, 100 percent
- if possible, by 1st April 2023
- for a period of up to 4,5 years
Within this span of time an individual research project which is both transcultural and transdisciplinary and dedicated to the topic of the Research Training Group is to be developed and carried out. Participating in this Research Training Group are the disciplines of Ancient History, Antique Church History/Theology, Byzantine Studies, Medieval History, Eastern European History, History of the Islamic Mediterranean, Early Modern Church History, Classical Archaeology and Byzantine Art History, Early and Prehistorical Archaeology (with a focus on Medieval Archaeology) and Musicology.
The goal of the Research Training Group for doctoral students is to examine the Euro-Mediterranean Cultures of War and the importance of Byzantium for them from a transcultural perspective, from the Roman Imperial Period to the Early Modern Period. With cultures of war are understood to be the forms and practices of war as well as the norms, interpretations, attributions of meaning and reflections referring to war. The mutual processes of exchange, differentiation or reception (from antique influences in Byzantium to Byzantine models in the post-Byzantine Period) will be explored via two fields of inquiry, “Expressional Forms” and “Interpretative Concepts”. The prospective research must address one of these two fields of inquiry. Proposals for topics with a focus on visual or material culture are especially encouraged.
1. Completion of a transcultural and transdisciplinary study
2. Co-editorship of a publication of proceedings from an international conference
3. Organization and management of a regular exchange with the doctoral students
4. Support of both the doctoral students in the areas of methodology and theory as well as of the participating researchers in the further development of the program of study
5. Maintenance and further development of the "ABC of War" database
6. Regular participation in the events of the Research Training Group. For this reason, presence in Mainz is obligatory
The Research Training Group offers intensive specialist and interdisciplinary exchange, opportunities to attain further qualifications in the sphere of Digital Humanities, the possibility of teaching and diverse opportunities for international networking.
Requirements for the application include an excellent dissertation in a participating or related field, that as a rule should not have been completed more than six years in the past, as well as experience in interdisciplinary work. Knowledge in the field of digital humanities is required for the support of the “ABC of War” database. (https://abcofwar.uni-mainz.de/ni-mainz.de)
The Johannes Gutenberg University of Mainz is keen on increasing the proportion of women within the sphere of scholarship and therefore especially welcomes applications from female researchers.
The following application materials are to be submitted electronically in a single .pdf file (in German or English):
- Letter of application (one page)
- Outline of the planned research project (four pages)
- A curriculum vitae with list of publications, degree diplomas, information on scientific employment
- Text of the dissertation and of an additional publication
The application materials along with two letters of recommendation from university-level instructors, who should submit their letters separately, are to be addressed to the Spokesman of the Research Training Group, Prof. Dr. Johannes Pahlitzsch (address: firstname.lastname@example.org; subject-line: grk2304_Last Name).
The application deadline is 5th January 2023. For further information on the Research Training Group cf. https://grk-byzanz-kriegskulturen.uni-mainz.de/. For subject-related questions please direct your queries to the corresponding participating researchers of the Research Training Group, other questions to the Spokesman:
Prof. Dr. Johannes Pahlitzsch
Johannes Gutenberg-Universität Mainz
Fachbereich 07: Geschichts- und Kulturwissenschaften
Historisches Seminar Byzantinistik
Tel.: 06131-39 27190
Fax: 06131-39 26043