In the second project phase of “1914-1918-online. International Encyclopedia of the First World War” (http://www.1914-1918-online.net/), the Friedrich-Meinecke-Institute, department of Modern History (Prof. Dr. Oliver Janz) at the Freie Universität Berlin is inviting applications for the position of Online Editor, starting on 1 May 2016. The position is limited to three years. The project offers interdisciplinary and challenging tasks in the areas of history and digital humanities. As a team member of “1914-1918-online. International Encyclopedia of the First World War” you will support the encyclopedia’s academic editorial office and will work in a highly international, competent and motivated research environment. The place of work is Berlin.
Online Editor (Wissenschaftliche Mitarbeiter/in)
1/2-part-time-job (19.5 hours per week)
Fixed-term contract for 36 months
Salary group 13 TV-L FU
As a member of the editorial office of “1914-1918-online. International Encyclopedia of the First World War”, the Online Editor will be involved in the entire editorial workflow as well as the general project work. Varied tasks include:
- Copy and layout editing of incoming English-language manuscripts
- Organization and support of the peer review process
- Supporting the editorial board, contributors and external collaborators
- Researching thematically relevant web resources and images
- Indexing and tagging contents according to classification systems developed in the course of the project
- Completed university degree (Master’s, Diplom, Staatsexamen, Magister, or PhD) in history or a related discipline
- Excellent English language skills
- Native-level of spoken and written English
- A good command of German. Knowledge of other modern languages would be an advantage
- Extensive editorial experience, preferably in online editing
- Web affinity
- Very good communication skills
- Good computer skills, especially experience with content management systems
Please send your cover letter and CV in English along with substantiating documents (including transcripts and letters of recommendation) electronically in PDF format by 21 March 2016 to the following email address: firstname.lastname@example.org. All further communication will occur electronically.
By submitting an application via email, the applicant agrees that his/her data will be processed and stored electronically.
For further information please contact Dr. Margit Wunsch Gaarmann, Tel.: +49 30 838-52984 or at email@example.com.