Widen the Circle (WtC) seeks a highly organized, self-motivated, and entrepreneurial Community Coordinator to assist with specific deliverables, including organizing two virtual events and engaging members of WtC’s network. This role will be WtC’s first Berlin-based team member running specific initiatives to support the implementation of WtC’s program portfolio, which has ambitious aims to have a positive impact on the world. The part-time position will cover a six-month period with an average of 20 hours/week (increased to 30-40 hours/week during the month of January). The position has the possibility to extend beyond the initial contract.
WtC is an NGO that works to combat prejudice by fostering a shared understanding of the past. We seek to widen the circle of respect, reconciliation, and understanding, particularly in places where there is a history of extreme persecution of one group by another. Our oldest program is the Obermayer Awards, which are held annually at the Berlin Parliament to honor people and organizations in Germany that have worked creatively and selflessly to raise awareness of Jewish history and culture in their communities, and to fight the rise of hate, prejudice, and anti-Semitism. In the past year, we have launched several other programs meant to increase our impact in Germany and the U.S. For more information, please see: https://widenthecircle.org/about-us
WtC is based near Boston, MA, in the U.S. We have a small, nimble team that includes staff and contractors both in the U.S. and in Germany. We also have a broad range of partners, advisors, and volunteer experts, including many in Germany.
The Community Coordinator will report to and work closely with the Executive Director based in the U.S., and will receive training from the U.S.-based Program and Operations Manager. The Community Coordinator’s core responsibility will be to organize two large virtual events in January 2021, and to create communication materials and an engagement plan for Widen the Circle’s growing network in Germany. The events include Widen the Circle’s virtual Obermayer Awards ceremony and a virtual Forum event for members of our network.
- Organize and oversee the logistics for the virtual Obermayer Awards in January 2021, including but not limited to the following:
- Coordinate logistics with the Abgeordnetenhaus, manage attendance related activities, and oversee information gathering and coordination with the 2021 awardees
- Manage the 2021 award process and coordinate timing and logistics for award-related tasks among the Widen the Circle team of staff and contractors
- Collaborate on the development and implementation of more intimate, limited-access awards-related online events for key stakeholders and donor cultivation
- Organize and oversee planning and logistics for a five-day virtual Forum event for members of Widen the Circle’s network (~100 individuals), including but not limited to the following:
- Collaborate on developing an overall plan for the event with input from a group of volunteer advisors
- Organize speakers to lead Forum sessions and smaller discussion groups, and interview and select any third-party vendors as needed (e.g., technical support)
- Develop registration process, create and manage an attendee list, and manage a small team to help run the Forum sessions
- Organize a debrief of the Forum event
- Create and implement a plan to engage WtC network members and build community via communications and events
- Create a communications plan to keep network members engaged with each other and with WtC’s work
- Build relationships with network members that enable communication, event planning, and knowledge sharing
- Develop content for newsletters, network emails, and other communications that is consistent, targeted, and impactful
- Implement additional activities for the network as needed e.g. develop plan for additional modest online events to supplement annual Forum
- Fluency in German and English
- Self-motivated and entrepreneurial; able to see projects through to completion without hands-on supervision
- Experience managing large virtual events of up to 100 people (including scheduling, logistics, accommodations, et al), with a demonstrated ability to deliver elements on deadline
- Experience managing community groups and/or networks, including the creation of engagement strategies and communication plans
- Strong communication skills, including demonstrated ability to create targeted newsletters and other written materials
- Ability to strategically use social media a plus
- Exceptional organizational skills with strong attention to detail
- Able to work well both independently and in a team
- Able to learn and apply new skills at a rapid pace
- Experience communicating professionally with government officials and their staff
- Strong experience working with Microsoft Office and other desktop tools
- High level of integrity
- Passion for and commitment to the mission of Widen the Circle
- Able to communicate during U.S. East Coast and Western Europe operating hours
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis with the goal to fill this position by the end of October 2020. To apply, please email your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please address your email to our Program & Operations Manager, Rebecca Richards-Kramer.
About Widen the Circle
Widen the Circle works to combat prejudice by fostering a shared understanding of the past. We seek to widen the circle of respect, reconciliation, and understanding, particularly in places where there is a history of extreme persecution of one group by another.
Our approach starts with individuals and groups who have themselves worked at the ground-level in their communities to fight prejudice and to confront the history that allowed prejudice to grow. We shine a light on those people, then add our capabilities and network to amplify their work in order to combat hate—in Germany, in the U.S., and beyond.
A nonprofit founded in 2019 and supported by the Obermayer Foundation, Widen the Circle currently focuses its work in four areas: the Obermayer Awards, the Widen the Circle Network, the Thought Leaders network, and Bridge-Building. For more information, please see: https://widenthecircle.org/about-us