The Research Training Group 2571 “Empires: Dynamic Change, Temporality and Post-Imperial Orders” funded by the German Research Council (DFG) invites applications for:
4 three-year PhD Positions
Application deadline: 07.07.2021
Part-time position (65 %)
The Research Training Group (RTG), comprising the historical disciplines of Ancient, Medieval, Early Modern, Modern and Contemporary, Eastern European and Eastern Asian History and the disciplines of Sociology, Political Science, Romance Studies and English Literary Studies as well as (via the EUCOR network) Islamic Studies, investigates imperial transformations leading up to the emergence of post-imperial orders with a focus on the effects, adaptations and medial reflections of imperial temporal orders.
Dissertations are expected to focus on three main lines of research: the transformation and temporalities of imperial a) spaces, b) economies, and c) institutions and normative structures.
For further information on the RTG please visit: www.grk2571.uni-freiburg.de.
The RTG is committed to support gender, ethnic and cultural diversity and strongly encourages international applicants.
- excellent Master’s degree or equivalent, preferably in a field of study relevant to the Research Training Group
- willingness to complete a dissertation on a topic that is applicable to the research focus of the Research Training Group
- members are required to participate in the structured study program and in the events and activities of the Research Group
- with the exception of research stays abroad, the PhD candidates are required to take residence in Freiburg for the duration of the program
- the doctorates are carried out at the Albert Ludwig University of Freiburg
- a structured study program that supports individual research and prepares doctoral candidates for an academic career and other related professional fields
- intensive professional and interdisciplinary exchange
- opportunities for international academic networking and career advancement
- continuous supervision by two professorial members of the RTG
- funding for up to six months abroad at a research institute (https://www.grk2571.uni-freiburg.de/partners) cooperating with our program, as well as travel costs for attending conferences in Germany and abroad
Please submit the following documents (in English or German):
- letter of motivation (1-2 pages)
- copy(s) of the university certificate(s) including a transcript of records
- outline of the proposed research project (7-10 pages) including an abstract describing the topic (1 page), working title, state of the art, main research questions, theoretical approaches and methodology, and a time schedule
- names of two academic referees whom we may contact regarding the scientific qualification, personal suitability and quality of the application and the project
The positions are in accordance with the Academic Fixed-Term Contract Law (WissZeitVG) and they are to be filled on a fixed-term basis for the duration of the doctoral process, initially for a period of up to 3 years. An extension for the successful completion of the doctorate is possible within the time limits of the WissZeitVG.
The salary will be determined in accordance with TV-L E13.
We are particularly pleased to receive applications from women for the position advertised here.
Please send your application including supporting documents mentioned above citing the reference number 00001586, by 07.07.2021 at the latest. Please send your application to the following address in written or electronic form:
Albert-Ludwigs-Universität Freiburg i. Br.
GRK 2571 „Imperien“
Platz der Universität 3 (Poststelle im Kollegiengebäude III)
For further information, please contact Prof. Dr. Peter Eich on the phone number +49 761 203-5453 or E-Mail firstname.lastname@example.org.