The Rachel Carson Center for Environment and Society seeks a IT/Communications Associate on a 19h/week contract. The position starts 15 May 2019.
The Rachel Carson Center for Environment and Society (RCC) is an international, interdisciplinary research institute located in central Munich. It was founded in 2009 as a joint initiative of LMU Munich (Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität) and the Deutsches Museum. The working language of the center is English. At any given time, the RCC is home to around twenty-five visiting scholars from across the globe, as well as an international staff who manage academic programs, publications, communications, events, and finances.
The IT/Communications Associate will be responsible for:
- IT-support and troubleshooting for staff and fellows’ Windows devices (occasionally MacOS devices) and printers
- Administration of e-mail and user accounts and delegation of rights and permissions in NTFS
- Support for licenses, software installations, as well as the training of employees and supervision of the IT-knowledge database
- Implementation of project based solutions and procurement of IT-equipment
- Liaison with the IT-Gruppe Geisteswissenschaften of LMU, Leibniz‐Rechenzentrum, and external service providers
- Responsible party for all GDPR compliance issues at the RCC
- Conceiving new ideas and designing layouts of PR material for projects and events of the RCC in Photoshop and InDesign
- General administrative support, which could also include helping fellows adjust to life in Munich, assisting with events, editing YouTube videos, etc.
In order to take this position, candidates must be enrolled for either a Master’s or a doctoral degree at a Bavarian university; they should be planning to stay enrolled as a student for at least one year beyond April 2019. Candidates must be able to work five days a week from 9:30 - 14:00.
Successful candidates should have good written and spoken English and German. Formal IT training is not a prerequisite. However, candidates should be very comfortable with computers and should be willing to learn quickly on the job. They must also have strong organizational skills and be able to multi-task. Graphic design experience is considered a plus. Applicants should enjoy working as part of a team, be able to work independently, and be interested in working with colleagues of diverse cultural backgrounds. An interest in environmental issues would be advantageous.
The appointment will be made initially for a six-month review period; renewal will be for a further year in the first instance. Salary will be determined according to LMU compensation for “studentische Hilfskräfte.” The RCC is located in central Munich and offers a culturally diverse, family- friendly, and flexible working
environment. We especially seek applications from qualified individuals with disabilities and welcome applications from women.
Apply by 31 March 2019 by sending a cover letter, curriculum vitae, and contact information for two references in English or German (in ONE pdf file) to firstname.lastname@example.org.