Epidemic Urbanism Initiative (EUI), founded by Mohammad Gharipour and Caitlin DeClercq, presents “Global Visions on Cities and Historical Pandemics in the 20th Century.” This symposium is being organized as part of GAHTC’s annual event and will be held 1-3pm US Eastern Time on Friday, July 24, 2020. The following conversations comprising this event will be moderated by Dr. Mehreen Chida-Razvi (Nasser Khalili Collections, London) and Dr. Fariba Zarinebaf (Uni. of California, Riverside).
Panel 1: Colonialism, Imperialism, and Urbanism
1. French Colonialism, the City, and Pandemics in Vietnam, 1885-1930s (Michael Vann, Sacramento State Uni.)
2. The Hong Kong Plague and the Park Movement of the British Settlements in Shanghai and Tianjin, China, 1894 (Yichi Zhang, Uni. of Oslo, Norway)
3. Bubonic Plague, Homes, and the Battles Over Segregation in Urban Senegal, 1914-1921 (Gregory Valdespino, Uni. of Chicago)
Panel 2: Politics, Policies, and Public Health
1. State, Epidemics, and Ecology in East Bengal, 1858-1947 (Mohammad Hussain, Ibn Haldun Uni, Turkey)
2. The Regulation of Quarantine Spaces in Brazil after 1873 Health Convention (Niuxa Dias Drago, Ana Paula Polizzo, and Fernando Delgado, Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro, Brazil)
3. Print, Politics, and Smallpox Epidemic in Terre Haute, Indiana, 1902-1903 (Allen Shotwell, Ivy Tech College)
4. Urban Transformation and Public Health Policies in Post-influenza Lagos, 1918 (Timothy Oluseyi Odeyale, Uni. of Ibadan, Nigeria)
Panel 3: Community and Domestic Space
1. The City as Field Hospital and the Influenza Epidemic in Seattle, 1918-1919 (Louisa Iarocci, University of Washington, Seattle)
2. Building a Community in Leprosy Island in the Philippines, 1889-1941 (Mary Anne Akers, Morgan State Uni.)
3. Epidemics between Dwelling and Building in 1950s Baghdad (Huma Gupta, MIT)
4. House, Social Life, and Smallpox in Kathmandu, 1963 (Susan Heydon, Uni. of Otago, New Zealand)
Please register for this symposium, “Global Visions on Cities and Historical Pandemics in the 20th Century,” at the following link: https://mit.zoom.us/meeting/register/tJUsceGupz4rEt2VjCZAZtZKX8TZbaT9pE0I
If you have any questions, please contact us at email@example.com.
Please also see videos from our past events and conversations on our YouTube Channel.