As part of the implementation of the “Excellence Initiative – Research University” programme, the University of Warsaw invites applications for the position of postdoctoral researcher (adiunkt) at the Faculty of History of the University of Warsaw.
The selected candidate will conduct their own research project in any of the fields of history of the greater Indian Ocean region (including eastern parts of Africa, South-East Asia, and East Asia) from the late medieval period until the present day. They will also be a member of research team of the Action I.3.13 “Global history – non-European contexts of the modern world” of the “Excellence Initiative – Research University” programme.
The main goal of the intended Action is to create a research team affiliated with the Faculty of History, which, through research and teaching, would stimulate dialogue between the academic community of the University of Warsaw and leading research centres of "global history" - the field of historiography that has been developing the fastest in the last 20 years - and at the same time better integrate research which has been already conducted in this area at various faculties of the University of Warsaw. The foundation of a global history and anthropology research centre will create an attractive platform for young researchers to exchange experience and facilitate contacts with leading foreign researchers.
The selected candidate will:
1. conduct autonomous research on the project (submitted in the application) that will have a significant potential and impact on the international scholarship within the field;
2. take active part in the academic life of the University of Warsaw by attending seminars, delivering papers, lectures, sharing knowledge and skills with other members of the academic community. In particular, she/he will participate in all events held by the Faculty of History (University of Warsaw) in the framework of the” Global history” programme;
3. disseminate results of her/his research through conference presentations and by publishing in leading peer-reviewed international journals and academic presses, thus representing University of Warsaw;
4. actively contribute to strengthening the international position of the University of Warsaw;
5. collaborate with university administration in all matters related to the project;
6. teach one semester-long course (30 teaching hours of 45 minutes) a year, in English or in Polish.
Employment is for 18 months with the possibility of prolongation to 30 months. The prolongation for another 12 months is contingent on extending the Action's funding beyond 2023.
Salary: maximum 10 000 PLN gross. There is also an individual research allowance of 25 000 PLN.
- fulfilment of the conditions set out in the article 113 in Act of 20 July 2018. – Law on Higher Education and Science (Prawo o szkolnictwie wyższym i nauce – Dz. U. z 2022 r. poz. 574) and the UW Statute (Resolution No. 443 of the UW Senate of 26 June 2019, Monitor item 190);
- a doctoral degree defended no later than ten years prior to the appointment. Career breaks due to parenthood, illness etc. do not count toward the ten years;
- documented experience in researching global history of the greater Indian Ocean region;
- proven active participation in international academic life;
- well-argued excellent research project in the field of global history of the greater Indian Ocean;
- excellent knowledge of English;
- excellent communication skills, including the ability to present research results and write for publication;
- ability and willingness to work as part of a scholarly community, share insights and findings, and engage in collaboration;
- ability to complete projects and work to a deadline.
- preference will be given to candidates with a working knowledge of at least one language (Asian or African) used in the historical sources related to the research region and research interests;
- defined plans for applying for further research grants that would be affiliated with the University of Warsaw;
- specific publications plans;
- knowledge of other foreign languages;
- research experience outside of Poland.
The application should include:
- CV and the list of publications;
- cover letter;
- names and contact information for two academic referees;
- outline of the research project to be completed during the appointment at the University of Warsaw (up to 2000 words + bibliography);
- a scan of the document certifying completion of the doctoral degree;
- scan of a signed agreement for the processing of personal data by the University of Warsaw, which is attached to this call;
- scan of a signed declaration in which candidate read and accepted the rules of organizing the job competition as defined by the Ordinance No. 106 of the Rector of the University of Warsaw dated 27 September 2019 on providing detailed rules and procedures for holding a competition for the position of an academic teacher at the University of Warsaw (https://monitor.uw.edu.pl/Lists/Uchway/Uchwa%C5%82a.aspx?ID=5592)
CV, cover letter, and the research project have to be submitted in English. Remaining documents can be submitted either in Polish or in English versions.
Please apply by e-mail to email@example.com with the subject line: “Global history post-doc”.
For further information, see the full text of the call through the attached link.