This call for papers on the topic of knowledge in transfer and transformation is for the 25th International Congress of History of Science, and Technology (ICHST), which will be held in Rio de Janeiro from July 23 to 29, 2017, with the general theme “Science, Technology and Medicine between the Global and the Local”. We invite proposals for individual papers or for complete panels addressing the earth sciences (e.g. geology, geography, ecology as well as mining and forestry) between localism and globalization in the 18th to 20th century.
Possible topics are:
- local / regional knowledge and its globalization (production, circulation, distribution, and transformation / modification of knowledge)
- forms of knowledge translation / translation as transformation
- knowledge on resources
- practically vs. theoretically knowledge in transfer
- borders and boundaries of knowledge in transfer (nations, ideologies, science politics, knowledge orders)
- knowledge in postcolonial perspective (onesided transfer vs. backlashes of knowledge)
- exchange vs. migration
Please send a brief CV and a proposal of no more than 300 words by April 10, 2016, to Nele-Hendrikje Lehmann (Nele-Hendrikje.Lehmann@iwtg.tu-freiberg.de) and Swen Steinberg (Swen.Steinberg@tu-dresden.de). Panel proposals should include 3 papers, 1 moderator, and 1 commentator.